CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 20, 2009

Nurse Mother

The last year, I have been having a lot more responsibility thrown at me at work. I have been asked to train in the charge nurse position, orient new employees to our floor, orient employees to "Core" (which is what we call nurses who can work Antepartum), and precept students (precepting is when a student works one on one with a nurse for a designated amount of hours to assist in learning nursing care/practice on a more independent level than they have had the opportunity to work).
After orienting a couple new employees in the fall, Shelley came to precept under me starting in January. She is in the UT/MUO Gemini program getting her Masters in Nursing. Because of this, she was required to precept with me for 300 hours. If you do the math...that equals out to 25 twelve hour shifts. Quite demanding for a student who also has tests, projects, presentations and classroom time to accomplish. My first thought when I found out about the 300 hours was "I certainly hope we get along."
My worries were appeased quickly. Shelley and I got along famously. She was a great student, willing to watch and listen and then incorporate the things she learned in her own practice. She was always willing to hear my counsel and improve upon her care, rather than letting pride hinder her from learning the lessons she could learn. She is as loyal as they come. If someone came up and was harassing her for having to work with me, she would defend me vehemently and make sure it was clear that she was grateful to have me for her preceptor.

Tonight was bittersweet, because it was the completion of Shelley's 300 hours. I really feel like I'm going to be lost without her. We have become quite the pair...and I really loved having her with me. I wish her all the luck and success in her Nursing career.
I know she will be a fabulous nurse!
In gratitude for helping her, Shelley wrote me a thank you card that said...
"Maria,
First of all, I want to say thank you for accepting the position as my preceptor because I know this was a big task to take on!
And thank you for coming in all of those nights thru back pain & migraines!
Thanks for being dedicated to ME.
You are officially deemed my "Nurse Mother!"
You helped motivate me, support me, were a great example & helped guide me.
You helped boost my performance, competency and confidence.
You made my clinical experience enjoyable and I wouldn't have wanted to be led by anyone else!
Although I know I acted like I just wanted to get it done
(that was more because I have so much other work to do),
I will for sure miss our fun-filled nights on 3 North!
With all the Beyonce renditions and funny things you always did,
we provided each other much comic relief,
but when it came down to the job,
You did it and did it well!
I will be a better nurse because of you!
I even know my abbreviations now, but please don't quiz me! (Joking)
The "hot mess" dynamic duo is done for now, but our legacy will always live on!
Love your Personal Assistant ~Shelley :)"

In gratitude for the time I gave to teaching Shelley she gave me this bracelet
and these roses

I have been molded and taught by several of my own "nurse mothers". I am grateful to each of them for being an example to me, and showing me the kind of nurse I not only could be...but wanted to be. Ironically, tonight as Shelley and I were wrapping up our time together...one of my "nurse mothers" was a family member to one of our patients. I was able to introduce Shelley to Ceci and show Ceci the kind of nurse she had helped to develop. I am grateful for the confidence that is placed in me to help others and for the opportunity to be able to share some of what I have learned on to another.

It was my pleasure Shelley, I will miss you greatly! Good luck to you in all of your endeavors :D

0 comments: