CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Jeanine and Elijah come to visit

Right before I was a senior in high school, I moved with my dad down to Dunedin, Florida. Most people would be intimidated by such a move, but I had spent the majority of my life moving around. Therefore, I was quite used to it. One of the first things I tended to do once I was established...was to find a friend that I was really comfortable with (someone who could fill the missing role of a sister in my life...as my mom likes to put it).
Living in Florida was no different for me. Even though, I lived there a short time (six months)...I made some very good friends. One of which was Jeanine Record. I met Jeanine on the school bus. I was a Senior and she was a Sophomore. Because of our age difference we didn't have many classes together, but we did have Phys Ed together (I had to take another year of Phys Ed since Florida's requirements were different from Ohio's) and would eat lunch together. We began to get to know one another and discovered we were kindred spirits. I liked Jeanine because she was very "real." She never judged a "book by its cover" and didn't put on any "pretenses". I loved her "genuine" spirit and we ended up spending most of our spare time together that school year. Thus, also getting in to our own share of trouble together :)
After moving away from Florida in March of 1990. I went back to visit in 1992 for Jeanine's graduation from Dunedin High School. She went in to the Navy shortly thereafter and we ended up losing touch. I looked for her a few times over the years, but was unable to have any luck in locating her....especially since I didn't know her married name.

When I was first introduced to Facebook, Jeanine's name was one of the first names I searched for. But once again...I didn't have any luck! Then one day (about a month ago) when I was checking my Facebook I saw a "friend request" from Jeanine! I was ecstatic! I immediately responded to her and it wasn't long before we were in contact once again. We talked a few times on the phone and scheduled a weekend visit. (After discovering that she has been only 3 hours away from me for the last 11 years in South Bend, Indiana.)

Jeanine and Maria

I worried that it might be awkward being together again after all of these years apart. A lot happens to a person in 16 years that could change a person.

It didn't take us long to fall right back into our old patterns again. We were further surprised, at how many details from our youth we could remember.

Jeanine has a little boy named Elijah (he is 11 years old). He enjoys many of the same things as my boys do....especially video games. Elijah had a PSP (a system we don't have)...my kids spent most of the weekend drooling over his game.
Dylan and Elijah playing Guitar Hero together


Our kids got along famously.

Elijah also loves the guitar and is just starting to take lessons. The entire weekend he wore t-shirts of guitar players...like Slash and Hendrix.
Nicholas and Luke showing us their Guitar Hero moves

Jeanine giggled when she saw Dylan in his Snuggee. I think he looks like a monk in it. She readily agreed.

Nicholas and Jeanine decided to make a chocolate cake for us.
Of course, they had to test the batter!

Jeanine and Nicholas show off the fruits of their labors

We called Nicholas the "Chocolate Mustache Bandit".
He said "I'm going to walk around all night with this on my lip."
He did!
Jonathan crashed out on the couch after a very active day.
Isn't he so cute?
I'm once more convinced that when someone becomes a part of your heart...they never leave you. I am so thankful for being able to find my friend again. I truly love her with all my heart and hope that we will never lose touch again.

0 comments: