CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 11, 2011

Gramma comes home

As we rang in the New Year this year, Gramma has been wanting to do less and less and complaining of extreme pain in her legs. It has been frustrating, because she has basically just "given up". In her "giving up" she has become a total care. Being difficult to even move her in her bed, and even do the basics with her.
A little over a week ago, I brushed across her foot with my hand and she yelled out. Perplexed at her reaction, I removed her sock to discover a necrotic area that had formed on her big toe. I was immediately concerned, especially with the fact that the necrosis had developed without there being any source of a wound there first. I knew immediately that this indicated a severe lack of circulation in her leg.
I called her doctor's office and asked them what they would have me to do? They said I should take her to the ER. I had to call the Paramedics to get her to the hospital, because I wouldn't be able to do this on my own. We spent the entire day in the ER. At one point (halfway through the day), they spoke of discharging us home and having us follow up with Vascular outpatient. I refused informing them that it would take too long to get in with the doctor, and we needed to do something now. So, they admitted her. Taking their sweet time in doing so. It was 4:30 pm before I had her in her room and I was rushing home to get ready for work that night.
The Vascular doctor, Dr. Piggott saw her and after extensive testing determined that they would need to perform an Angiogram to clean out her arteries and place stents.
The surgery was Tuesday evening.
I had to work this night as well, so I was able to be there during pre-op, but then had to head home to get ready for work. Dr. Piggott called me to let me know how the surgery went. The surgery was a great success! Dr. Piggott thanked me for my perseverance in insisting that she be admitted and seen. He let me know had we waited 2 more weeks, she probably would've lost both legs to amputation...her circulation was that severely compromised. Her outlook now looks very promising!
Friday was Gramma's day of discharge. I started early in the morning calling trying to get the ball rolling to get her discharged and at home. Jonathan and I had plans to go on our Valentine's Day Date tonight (since I have to work on Valentine's Day), and I wanted to get Gramma home and settled before we left. As always, our plans were thwarted in the delays that occurred at the hospital. As we decided to go on our date and pick up Gramma afterwards, the phone rings and the nurse informs us that she is ready for discharge.
We head over to the hospital to pick up Gramma, only to find that she wasn't as "ready" as they had indicated. It took 2 hours to get her discharged. Eating into our date time. None of us were thrilled to say the least.
Out of boredom Jonathan began to fall asleep in the chair.
I wasn't happy at all and "Pouty Maria" started to show herself. Nobody likes "Pouty Maria"!
It gets so frustrating when things just won't go the way I plan.
We just kept telling ourselves, how happy we were able to do something to help Gramma and optimistic of what the future holds.
We were finally able to get Gramma home and go on our date.
Better late, than never.

0 comments: