CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 25, 2011

IEP

I remember the days not too long ago, when I absolutely dreaded my appointments to renew the IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for Luke and Kyle (and even at one point Dylan). There's nothing like having a bunch of "experts" sit around a table and inform you of the many things that your child struggles with and future struggles that may be experienced. I have walked out of many of these meetings overwhelmed and despondent.

Today I was able to have a different experience. The High School experience at Southview High School for Kyle has been surreal. We started the school year with me informing Kyle's case manager, Mandy Ballantyne of all of the do's and don'ts with Kyle and her looking at Kyle and saying "Kyle we are in High School now. We don't need your mom to know every little thing you do. High Schoolers don't behave that way in High School." I scoffed at her thinking "Just wait sister. You will see!"

I have been pleasantly surprised to be free of any behavior problems from Kyle. I have not received one phone call this year regarding behavior. The Dean of Discipline doesn't even know who I am. In addition,Kyle has remained on the Honor Roll each quarter this year.

When we sat in his IEP meeting, I was informed that we needed to remove the behavior element from his IEP because there wasn't any evidence in the last year to support it. Initially, I was struck with fear. There is security in knowing that there is a step by step process and goals for Kyle when it comes to his behavior established in his IEP. On the same note, I am so grateful to have had the reduction in stress and not only witnessing in Kyle's maturing, but hope that there may be an end in sight of constantly dealing with Kyle's behavior problems. Makes me think we are on the right path for him. I am so grateful for the right people being in the right places at the right times to help my children. Mrs. Ballantyne is exactly what Kyle needs.

0 comments: