CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 6, 2010

What a day

This was quite the day for us. Dylan slipped and fell at school with a stack of books in one hand and his cello in the other. He ended up landing on his tailbone. He was complaining pretty good about the pain and said he felt like "something was rubbing past each other whenever he walked" , so I took him to the Pediatrician and had him checked out. There wasn't too much evidence of a break, and even if there was a break, the treatment would be the same....rest, ice, Motrin 800. They took a Xray to know for sure. No breaks, just a bruised ego and bum He was feeling much better by bedtime and grateful not to have to tell others that he "broke his butt".

Then Nicholas and Luke were goofing off at bedtime. Luke fell and gashed his leg (shin) on the metal bed frame. He came down howling and we knew something was seriously wrong and all I could think is "I might be living in the Twilight Zone" (not the first time I ever felt this way).

We called our friend Morgan (he works as a Trauma PA) who said we probably should go to the ER, because it might need to get stitched. Flower's ER was awesome. They were so good with Luke. The nurse Marcia joked around with Luke getting him to giggle and relax a bit. She was great about forming the trust bond with him right off the bat. She told him they were definitely going to need to put stitches in. The spot where he gashed his leg had too much tension to just use Dermabond. Dr. Guff came in and placed six stitches in Luke's leg. He too was great in explaining things and helping Luke get through a scary experience. Luke was very unhappy about the Lidocaine injections, but he hung in there. Jonathan watched the whole thing without getting woozy. I was shocked! It's amazing what a parent can do when it comes to their child.

Well, we got through the day in one piece, but it definitely ended up being interesting. It's kind of ironic because when we were on our way home from Frankenmuth on Saturday, I started feeling a cold sore coming on. I was quite mystified because it has been years since I have had a cold sore and now this was the third one I have had a cold sore develop in two weeks. I started putting Abreva on my lip right away, but by Sunday morning my lip was quite swollen with a monster of a cold sore (it kind of looked like I had Botox injections done in my lip). I was scheduled to work Sunday and Monday night. The last thing I wanted to have to do was use the vacation/sick hours I have been trying to accrue with hopes of going on a vacation in the Spring. I was pretty frustrated about having to call in to work, but now I see the wisdom in my need to be at home. My family needed Mom there more than I needed to be at work. I'm grateful that the Lord knows more than we do when it comes to what we "need".

0 comments: