CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Attitude of Gratitude

With Thanksgiving coming up this month, I challenged my family in Family Home Evening last night to keep a "Gratitude Journal". Every night they are supposed to sit down and write about the ways they were blessed by the Lord that day. In Thomas S. Monson's General Conference address in April of 1992 entitled "An Attitude of Gratitude" he shares "This is a wonderful time to be living here on earth. Our opportunities are limitless. While there are some things wrong in the world today, there are many things right, such as teachers who teach, ministers who minister, marriages that make it, parents who sacrifice, and friends who help.

"We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the most serious of sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues." Just imagine how our attitudes and even lives could change if we focused more on the blessings than on the trials. We can't necessarily change our circumstances, but we can change how we view those circumstances and how they affect us





Each day I plan to share some of the things I am grateful for. Not only to give thanks for the things I have been blessed with, but to remind me on the tough days how much I truly am grateful for. ‎"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life! It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow." ~Melody Beattie

November 2, 2010

When I was a young girl, fantasizing about the many magical moments that were yet to be experienced, I would envision graduating high school, going to college, falling in love, getting married, and having children. As wonderful as those moments are, they are fewer and farther between than the everyday, little moments. The everyday, little moments have become the moments that I have come to treasure the most. Hearing "I love you!"...Rocking my babies to sleep...Having my sons ramble on about their days (because it still means they want to talk with me)...Having my sons randomly come up and give me a hug, a kiss, or snuggle...Hearing the laughter of my children...Having my husband insist on giving me a kiss and saying "I love you" before he goes anywhere (even if it is only a five minute trip)...When Nicholas was a little guy coming up to me and saying "I wanna hold you!" (when he wanted picked up)...Knowing that there isn't another person on this earth that they would rather be...and knowing that they are the only ones I want too...Knowing that I am loved and respected by so many of my friends and family...Making others laugh or smile...Making a difference in someone's day or life. These are just a few of the things that make me feel the happiest.

November 3, 2010

Today I am grateful for the advances of medicine. Dylan has come down with a cold, and I feel like I am starting one. I'm so thankful I could go to the store and get some remedies for us to help alleviate the miserable symptoms a cold can bring.

November 4, 2010

"The companionship of Christlike friends deeply touches and changes our lives. We should well remember that the Lord often sends 'blessings from above, thru words and deeds of those who love'...Love is the very essence of the gospel of Christ. In this church, prayers for help are often answered by the Lord through the simple, daily service of caring brothers and sisters. In the goodness of genuine friends, I have seen the reflected mercy of the Lord Himself. I have always been humbled by the knowledge that the Savior regards us as His friends when we choose to follow Him and Keep His commandments." Joseph B. Wirthlin

Today I am grateful for family and friends who make up the difference for our own lacking. I have been blessed with angels in my life. When I have needed them most, they have been there with the right words, hugs, help, or skills to get me through whatever trial might have come my way. On many occasions, I have been humbled to my knees by the great compassion of our Heavenly Father who knows what we are going through and what we need so well...that He will inspire others to come to our rescue. Thank you for being my angels

November 5, 2010

Today I am grateful to be married to my best friend. Jonathan loves me with such a purity of spirit. He looks at and treats me exactly the same way, whether I have bedhead or dressed to kill, whether I'm skinny or fluffy, whether I am nice or cranky. He sees the good in me, even when I can't. He always makes me feel like I am his first priority. He has stood by me through it all. I don't know how I got so lucky, but I sure am grateful.

"If you can't be content with what you have received, be thankful for what you have escaped."

November 6, 2010

Today I am grateful for my children. All things being considered, they are a dream come true from me. I can't remember a time when I didn't want to be a mom more than anything in the world! There might be difficult times, and times that try my patience...but those times are diminished by the laughter, hugs, good times, and happiness. I love my boys

November 7, 2010

I am so thankful for my belief in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am thankful for the infinite evidences in my life that confirm that I am a Child of God, each and every day. I am thankful for my testimony in knowing that living the Gospel is the only true path to happiness. I am thankful for the lessons I learn each and every day. I am thankful to know that there is more to this life.

November 8, 2010

I am thankful for all of the luxuries we enjoy. We may not go on fancy vacations, own summer homes, or have expensive things...but we truly have EVERYTHING we NEED.

"Feeling grateful or appreciative of someone or something in your life actually attracts more of the things that you appreciate and value into your life." ~Christiane Northrup

November 9, 2010

I am truly thankful to work in a profession I love! Being a mom was and still is my number one choice of professions...but Nursing definitely comes in a close second. I'll never forget first becoming a nurse and feeling like I was born to do this, too.

November 10, 2010

I am thankful for those in this world who go out of there way to serve others. I have become a firm believer when we work together...we can achieve so much more. Thank you to all of those who give a little of themselves to make our world better.

November 11, 2010

Today I am thankful to have Gramma finally back home with us. It has been quite the month, but we are hoping that she will be doing better from here on out. Life in our household just isn't the same without her here.

November 12, 2010

What can I say? Today I am thankful to have a day off! There's plenty of other things I am thankful for, but that one is taking top prize right now ;)

November 13, 2010

I know this may seem shallow, but...today I am thankful for hair dye and my own personal hair stylist. For without these two, I would appear so much older than I really am ;)

November 14, 2010

One of the greatest blessings to mankind is the blessing of the Atonement. I am so grateful for my Savior, for his example, his great love, and his willingness to suffer for my sins. For Him I am truly thankful.

"A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all other virtues." ~ Cicero

November 15, 2010

I am thankful for productive days. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have plenty of things to do each day. Working full time, having 4 children, taking care of Gramma, serving in church and trying to keep it all organized becomes quite the feat. Often times, I feel like I am falling short...especially when I forget an appointment or aren't able to accomplish everything asked of me. When I have productive days and I am able to succeed in keep everything "together", it brings me great joy :D

November 16, 2010

I am thankful for the power of laughter. I was raised in a household where we were taught the value of laughter, especially when we most wanted to cry. I can't tell you how many times I have had a good laugh and thought, "Wow! I really needed that." Don't take life so seriously that you forget to laugh :D

November 17, 2010

I am thankful for a husband who takes care of our household business, so that I can come home from work and get straight to bed (Today is a Late Start...if he wasn't here, it would be quite a while before I would be able to get to bed). Round two again tonight! Let's hope tonight is a little gentler on me :P

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

November 18, 2010

I am thankful to know where I came from...why I'm here...where I'm going...and the journey along the way

November 19, 2010

I am thankful for my childrens' teachers (past and present). We have been so blessed to have really great teachers who work patiently with our children to help them learn new things. I can't say enough good about them. Thank you, thank you one and all.

A teacher is somewhere in the world tonight preparing lessons to teach your children while you are watching tv. In the minute it takes you to read this, teachers all over the world are sacrificing their own time for your children's literacy, prosperity, and future.

November 20, 2010

I am thankful to know my family is a forever family. As my kids are growing older and I try to conceive of the possibility of them leaving me some day...it is so reassuring to know that there are ties that bind us together forever.

November 21, 2010

Today I am thankful for moms and dads who love their children even when they are trying to be unlovable. I have had many unlovable moments in my life and yet I have felt such unconditional love and direction come my way despite myself. Now that I am a mom myself I realize just how tough Parenthood is! There are those out there who have served as an example of great parenting to me. Thank you for your example. Thank you mom for loving me through it all.

November 22, 2010

I am thankful for all of those things that we often take for granted, but make our lives so much simpler...a house where love abides, keeps us warm, and gives a place to rest our heads...cars that get us where we need to go...good food to eat...plenty of clothes to wear...appliances that make our lives easier...etc. Yo...u never know how much you appreciate these things, until they aren't here. We are a blessed society!

November 23, 2010

I am thankful for promises . Promises made between husbands and wives. Promises made between parents and children. Promises made between siblings. Promises made between friends. Promises made between us and God. A promise is a powerful thing....especially when it is a promise that is kept.

November 24, 2010

I am thankful for the closeness I feel to my brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, nieces and nephews. It really is awesome to be able to live around so many of them.

‎"Blessed are those that can give without remembering and receive without forgetting." ~ author unknown

November 25, 2010

Today I am thankful for our freedom. Freedom of religion. Freedom to choose our careers. Freedom to choose our mate. Freedom to have the size of family we want. Freedom provided to us by those who serve. Freedom doesn't come free, but it does offer us plenty of opportunities to choose what direction we would like to take.

"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." Happy Thanksgiving to all those who help to add to the light I carry inside! I hope this day finds you surrounded by the ones you love, remembering all that we have to be thankful for. May we never lose sight of our many blessings

0 comments: